Thursday, June 14, 2012

Book-a-Day and My New Obsession

The last two weeks have been filled with wonderful staff development sessions that I have presented with my fabulous partners in crime and fellow middle school librarians Tamara Cox and Monique German.  We have had a wonderful time promoting librarianship and technology to the Foreign Language and Social Studies teachers in our district, attendees at the Upstate Technology Conference and administrators at the Upstate Technology conference.  


Now my summer can really begin, and I am so excited to read TONS every day!  The three middle schools in my district have a summer reading contest that we call the million page challenge, and we are determined to reach a million pages by the beginning of September. I was also inspired by the wonderful Donalyn Miller to participate in the #bookaday challenge on Twitter.  I began my first book on Saturday, and here is what I have read so far...





Twitter
My newest tech obsession is Twitter!  Yes, I know it is not new.  I have had an account for quite some time, but until this week, I have not really used it.  I have been more of a Facebook girl, but my wonderful friend, Tamara Cox, taught me the ins and outs of using Twitter to create a Professional Learning Network.  I am making connections with educators across the globe, and I am finding wonderful ideas to use in my library as soon as we start back to school in August.  I also joined the #summerthrowdown, a reading competition between teachers and librarians.  I encourage you to read up on using Twitter to expand your PLN and try it for yourself.  Don't be afraid to sign up for an account, lurk, tweet, retweet and watch your follower count go up and up and up!  It is truly fun and rewarding!  If you decide to take the plunge...look me up @KHearne.


Happy reading and tweeting!



2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see all the great books you read. So glad you're on the librarian team:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been keeping up with your books on Goodreads. Team librarian is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete